Smartphones are noted for being battery hogs. They have a reputation of going through a fully charged battery quite fast. The battery drain is due to varied factors. When WiFi is on, it is continuously searching for a network. Apps also draw power even when these are in the background. Notifications are also another source of battery drain. All of these can make for a short time between battery recharging.
In a recent article, smartphones were listed according to their battery life. The methodology was close to real-life situations. It involved continuous Internet browsing over 4G networks. The tester also made sure that there was always at least three bars of service. The brightness was also set at 50 bits. In contrast, other sites, tested with the phone on Airplane mode while looping a video and recording the sound, which did not accurately reflect the battery usage of a phone.
The following are some phones with the longest lasting battery life.
1. Moto Z Play. It has a 3,510 mAh battery, and in the test, it was able to log in 13 hours and 46 minutes of use. This cell phone has a modular design which would allow the use of a larger battery pack. It is priced at a mid-range $449 brand new. Its sister phones, the Moto Z Force and Moto Z-Droid, are more expensive.
2. LG X Power. With a 4,100 mAH battery, it has one of the largest battery packs among cell phones in the market. During the test, it lasted for 12 hours and 58 seconds before it was recharged. This is a low-priced model, going for as low as $100 with the deals and rebates. Although it does not stand high on the list of phones with outstanding features, this energy miser is worth a second look if you have a long commute with no way to charge your battery while en route. The LG X-Power 2 has an even bigger 4500 mAh battery.
3. CAT S60. This was designed to be a work cell phone. Specifically, it was designed to be used by field engineers and other construction workers. It has 3,800 mAh battery, and it got close to 13 hours (12:42 to be exact) of battery life. It is designed to survive instances of 6-foot drops and 30 minutes underwater up to 6 feet. Its most striking feature is a thermal imaging camera.
4. Blu Energy XL. Users like this phone for its power and long battery life. It has a 5,020 mAh battery and lasts 12 hours and 15 minutes. With the biggest battery around, it is no wonder that this cell phone is on the list of longest battery life. It is no secret that the Blu Energy XL was designed for battery life. It also has a big 6-inch bezel-less screen. It is also reasonably priced at less than $300.
5. ZTE Blade V8 Pro. With 3,140 mAh battery life, it logged 12:08 before it was time to recharge. Priced at a reasonable $229, the Blade V8 Pro also has a fingerprint sensor, as well as rear dual cameras. Although this is on the low-end of the market, the feature set can compete with the best of them.
6. Sony Experia X Performance. It has the smallest battery on the list at 2,700 mAh. However, it was still able to log 12 hours and 1 minute of use time. This is a very impressive energy miser. Like most Sony Experia phones, this was designed to be a premium offering. It has a wide feature set which justifies the premium tag. The long life from a small battery was achieved through some smart-battery technology.
7. Huawei Mate 9. With 4,000 mAh battery, it was able to log 12 hours flat of battery use before it was time to recharge. This is a premium class phone with a heavy feature set. It also boasts of a big screen. It doesn’t last as long as the Mate 8, but it does crack the 12-hour mark.
Even if you have a smartphone which not on the list above, you can still extend the battery use of your phone. Here are a few tips for a longer battery life:
- Turn off unnecessary apps. If you have Facebook or Facebook Messenger in the background, it would still be using up energy. If you have to be available on social media or chat apps, you can connect to these from time to time. You do not necessarily keep your lines open while waiting for a message on chat.
- Turn off most features. These include the WiFi, as well as vibrate and high volume ringtones. You can set the phone to a quiet mode and look at your phone only once in a while to check if there have been any changes.
- Set the sleep mode to 5 minutes. A lot of people don’t put their cell phones to sleep and don’t realize that this can burn up the battery life immensely. There’s nothing wrong with having a blank screen when the phone is not in use.
- Set data off. If you do not have any apps running, then you also do not need to be connected to your 3G/4G network. With the data plan off, the phone would no longer poll for the internet connection. Also, it would not need to pull data for the apps.
The battery is the lifeblood of your phone. If you want to be able to use the phone at the end of the day, you should make these as a habit. Even with ordinary phones, you should be able to reach a whole day without any need of battery recharging.Google+